How can you fix a dog’s bad breath? Most dogs & cats will experience bad breath at some point, and there are a number of different reasons as to why they will have it. Symptoms of bad breath in pets can include any of the following:
- Gum disease. Just like us humans, if your pet’s teeth aren't regularly cleaned, the healthy plaque on their teeth can transform into tartar which may also lead into the gingivitis which causes bleeding and inflamed gums!
- Teething. Many puppies & kittens will suffer from bad breath as they are starting to receive their adult teeth. The reason for this, bacteria can form at the gum line before the adult teeth are ready to come through.
- Gastrointestinal issues. If your pet has sickness in the stomach, oesophagus or intestines this can also be a reason for smelly breath. Whilst not always the main reason for bad breath you should always consult your vet about this if your pet has off breath!
- Metabolic disease. Certain toxic levels in a pet’s blood stream can also lead to foul breath. Kidney disease can be the most common cause of this.
What can you do to prevent bad breath in dogs & cats?
- Brush your pet’s teeth. Brushing your pets teeth with a pet tooth brush is just as important as brushing your own! You should start brushing your pets teeth from an early age so that can start to get use to it. Introducing your pet to the taste of the tooth paste with your index finger for a few days before using a tooth brush is also a good idea.
- Use a water additive. Water additives such as Tropiclean Fresh Breath or Virbac Water Additive help promote dental hygiene by preventing plaque accumulation and freshening the pets breath.
- Give dental friendly treats. Consult your vet regarding this but there are many treats in the market place which promote dental health such as Prozym Dental Sticks, Dentastix, ZiwiPeek Deer Antlers & Greenies.
My pet still has bad breath, what should i do?! Always consult your vet if you feel as though your pet has an underlying dental or oral issue which goes beyond the help that the above products can provide.